Here at Haws, a special moment in history transpired when Luther Haws invented the drinking fountain in 1906. Along with this special moment in history, there are interesting happenings that go along with the early invention of drinking fountains. Here are 5 kooky moments in history regarding drinking fountains that you may not have known.
- Among the biggest supporters of drinking fountains were temperance groups, who thought they would discourage people from drinking so much alcohol. Temperance groups were among the wealthy in the earthy 19th century. Temperance groups supported the drinking fountain movement by funding the building of more drinking fountains.
- Around 1920, settled power on water fountains= with slanted jets of water as the safest, most sensible format and they’ve remained pretty similar ever since.
- At the beginning of the 20th Century, people finally realized that common cups were completely disgusting and insane. In early drinking fountains metal cups were used and health promoters decided this was a terrible idea.
- In the late 1980’s, drinking fountains became controversial once again– because of lead poisoning.
- Then drinking fountains met their strongest adversary yet: bottled water.