Complete our customer experience survey to be entered to with a $250 Amazon gift card. Drawings held quarterly.
During cold seasons, it is important that outdoor drinking fountains and bottle fillers are equipped for the potentially harsh winter weather. Many drinking fountains and bottle fillers are designed to withstand extreme climate conditions from an external durability standpoint, yet it is pertinent to ensure internal waterways do not freeze and create damage.
If you have an outdoor drinking fountain and/or bottle filler that has a bury valve installed below the frost line and a freeze-resistant push button, or an outdoor wall-mounted fountain with a freeze valve box and waterways inside of the building (kept at above 50°F [10°C]), then the equipment does not require any additional maintenance or preparation for winter conditions and can be left on for use throughout all seasons.
Any hydration products installed in areas that reach freezing conditions should be inspected for freeze-resistant components. Check the owner’s manual for component details. If it is determined that the equipment is not freeze-resistant by design, then follow the steps outlined below to winterize your outdoor hydration equipment.
Winterizing Your Haws Drinking Fountain or Bottle Filler
All Haws drinking fountains and bottle fillers use a patented push button activation valve (5874PB/5874PBF) with front access for adjusting stream height, and for replacing the cartridge by use of a simple spanner wrench. This allows for easier access and maintenance.
- STEP 1: Turn off water via the shutoff or on/off valve
- STEP 2: Disconnect supply line tubing from the shutoff valve at the lowest point and let water drain from the tubing
- STEP 3: Remove the cartridge from the push button valve
- A. Remove button using the provided spanner wrench. Button must be rotated so spanner wrench holes line up. Twist off push button.
- B. Remove the cartridge retaining nut using the spanner wrench by twisting counterclockwise until the nut pops off
- C. Remove cartridge and store for reuse
- STEP 4: Thread the retaining nut back on along with the push button
For models that do not use the Haws Model 5874PB Push Button or any other questions, please call Technical Support at 800.766.5612 or [email protected].